My fellow counselors and I have a blog that we keep for the troupers' parents. Kids between 10 and 18 years old don't really take a whole lot of time to use calling cards to dial home, and when you throw in the lack of cell service and a jam packed day, they don't have much opportunity to reach out. So the parents rely on us to relay the ins and outs of trouper life. Of course I can't share the link here, but I wanted to copy the entry I posted today, just to give you a little taste. I'll probably do this for the posts I write, not the ones Willow and Andrew write, unless I ask them permission first :). And oh yeah, the picture above is the picture we posted with our first blog entry. Hope the parents feel their kids are in good hands!! ;)
Often in the circus, some of the funniest bits come in unplanned, unexpected moments. These bursts of funny can be born out of necessity (late entrance? broken prop? cover it up!) or out of pleasure (crowd really loving your clown act? ham it up!). But these improvisational gems don't only happen inside the ring, they happen outside as well. One such moment had me in stitches last night, and I thought I would share it with you all!
At council, the troupers were being briefed on media, interviews, and publicity. For some performers, reporters are old news; but a great deal of our troupers are new and were hearing this information for the first time. After quite a long and businesslike discussion, the room was quiet, focused, and relatively serious. When our PR manager asked whether there were any final questions or concerns, one of our youngest and quietest troupers unexpectedly commented, "I'm only worried about outshining the rest of you!" Her nonchalant manner and perfectly timed joke brought about fits of laughter from trouper and staff alike! The studio immediately returned to it's normal light-hearted and playful atmosphere! She definitely earned some high-fives for joke of the night, and we counselors knew right then and there that she is feeling comfortable and at home with her fellow troupers. Who could ask for anything more?!
Happy Tuesday!
Dani

No comments:
Post a Comment